Wednesday, February 18, 2009

NASA




accretiondisk_hst_big.gif.jpg



Explanation:
Our Sun is unusual in that it is alone - most stars occur in multiple or binary systems. In a binary system, the higher mass star will evolve faster and will eventually become a compact object - either a white dwarf star, a neutron star, or black hole. When the lower mass star later evolves into an expansion phase, it may be so close to the compact star that its outer atmosphere actually falls onto the compact star. Such is the case diagrammed above. Here gas from a blue giant star is shown being stripped away into an accretion disk around its compact binary companion. Gas in the accretion disk swirls around, heats up, and eventually falls onto the compact star. Extreme conditions frequently occur on the surface of the compact star as gas falls in, many times causing detectable X-rays, gamma-rays, or even cataclysmic novae explosions. Studying the extreme conditions in these systems tells us about the inner properties of ordinary matter around us.



Nemiroff, Robert, and Jerry Bonnell. "Astronomy Picture of the Day." NASA. Ed.
Robert Nemiroff and Jerry Bonnell. 18 Feb. 2009 .




I picked this picture because I found it to be an extremely unique photo. It was taken on my Birthday, December 19 in the year 1999. The picture shows science, but it is also a piece of art. The colors of the photo are so vibrant that it may seem more like art than science to some people. When I first saw it, I just thought it was a cool looking picture, but after I read about the picture I thought it was really interesting. I think that it is amazing what scientist can tell from one picture, or what one picture can show. The science that is behind all the picture of the galaxies is simply mind-boggling to me.

1 comment:

  1. Katie...I think this picture has a bit of a cartoon look to it. What an interesting explanation...I think the Sun is one of the most dynamic & strange stars in our galaxy. It being so close...we get to see its cool changes and anomalies.

    ReplyDelete